Star Wars fans will love these Wookie Cookies — an easy chocolate sugar cookie recipe using a fork for the simple wookie details. May the fourth be with you as you chew on these Chewbacca cookies for Star Wars day!
These chocolate cookies are the best for whipping up these fun Wookie Cookies for any Star Wars party! This chocolate sugar cookie recipe requires no chilling time so you can quickly get these in the oven and surprise your Star Wars fan. The cookies are cut using a gingerbread man cookie cutter and the hair detail of Chewbacca is simply from pressing the tongs from a fork into the cookie dough before baking. Super easy, super tasty! Anyone can get behind that!
Chocolate Wookie Cookies Recipe
To make these chocolate cookies, gather these ingredients:
Grocery List for Wookie Cookies
- Unsalted butter (1 cup)
- Granulated sugar (1 cup)
- Egg (1 large)
- Vanilla (1 tablespoon)
- All-purpose flour (2 1/2 cups)
- Cocoa powder (1/2 cup)
- Baking powder (2 teaspoons)
- Salt (1/2 teaspoon)
- Tub of chocolate frosting and pearl sprinkles (for decorating)
If you have salted butter on hand, you can use it but eliminate the salt listed in the ingredients. You may also want to grab decorating ingredients. I used what I had on hand — a tub of chocolate frosting and pearl sprinkles. You can use what you want, adding eyes and a mouth, too!
How to Make Wookie Cookies
It is super easy to make these cookies look like our favorite wookie, Chewbacca. After rolling out the dough, use your gingerbread man cookie cutter then take a fork and randomly press the tongs all around the top of the cookie to make the “hair.” It’s as simple as that. Thanks to this blogger’s brilliance for the idea!
These chocolate sugar cookies do not take long in the oven, just 6 to 9 minutes, so do not over bake! It depends on how thick or thin you roll your cookie dough.
Click here for the full Wookie Cookies recipe ingredients and instructions.
Chocolate Sugar Cookies
I thought that chocolate sugar cookies would be best for these wookie cookies, but you can also use my favorite gingerbread cookie dough with great results! I think more kids like chocolate cookies over gingerbread, which is why I made chocolate cookies.
Next Star Wars Day, I would love to try making Baby Yoda cookies! I’m not the best cookie decorator, but maybe I’ll get the itch and try next year! 🙂
Other Star Wars Day Food
Chocolate Wookie Cookies
For the chocolate sugar cookies:
- 1 cup unsalted butter , at room temperature (no warmer)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the decorations:
- chocolate frosting (I use a store-bought tub)
- pearl sprinkles
- other optional decorations as desired
For the chocolate sugar cookies:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar until creamy. Mix in the egg and vanilla until combined.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Gradually add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined.
- Roll the dough onto a clean floured working surface, no thinner than 1/4-inch thick. Use a gingerbread man cookie cutter to cut out wookie shapes. Place onto prepare baking sheet.
- Press tongs of a fork into the wookie cookie dough to create the "hair". Bake 7 to 10 minutes, depending on the thickness of the cookies. Remove from oven and let cool 10 minutes on cookie sheet before transferring to wire rack to cool completely.
- Once cookies are completely cooled, decorate as desired.